As per the Vow of Government of Tamil Nadu’s Election Campaign our Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Ms. Jayalalitha, has ordered ELCOT to get Tender for manufacturing Laptops for School and College Students for distributing it for free.
Now the Question is ” Is that Windows Operating System really Necessary ?“. The reason for being said is below:
1. Features of Windows Starter Edition:
No Aero (transparent glass like borders on windows).
No wallpaper or visual layout customization, 2 GB memory limit, No mobile center, No media center.
Depending on the type of video card you have in your notebook (age) it may not be able to support Aero.
Good only if you run everything in a web browser.
2. With Windows Starter Edition College Students could not be able to Install Visual Studio (also called as .net) which is very essential tool for Windows application Developments for both Desktop and Web. No support for ASP.NET
3. Anti-Virus License for Protection of Windows System against Virus is only for 1-year. After 1-year what are they going to do?
Crack softwares from Internet? Software Piracy (one form of Corruption) ? This will lead to an initial step of students community being become a part of Corruption by thefting the Softwares form internet that violates the Law and EULA(End User Licence Agreement) of the Software Vendor.
4. The Tender has qouted for 9.12 lakhs laptop to be manufactured and distributed, if this is the case think about this:
1. Microsoft Windows Starter Edition would cost Rs. 1000
2. So installing Windows in 9,00,000 Laptops would cost 9,00,000 * 1000 = 90,00,00,000 i.e (90 Crores). + Hardware Cost. It could go beyond 100 Crores.
Advantages of Linux being only used:
1. Operating System cost – Rs.0/- only. (Rs. 90 Crores Saved)
2. Immune to Viruses, No need for any Anti-virus (Highly Secured Operating System).
3. Thousands of Free Softwares for each category from School children to Engineering Students to use, completely free.
4. Specific Distribution of Linux for School Students called as SCHOOL OS (http://schoolos.org) comes with pre-installed educational tools.
5. Freedom to study,modify and distribute the source code.
6. Right to Share any of your content to anyone for infinite number of times.
Members of ILUG-Chennai from IIT has already started their Campaign and its time for us to do it.
” TamilNadu Government(2011-2016) gives free laptops to students community, and we hope the same will be followed in the choice of Operating Systems. Free in Linux means:- Freedom to use, Freedom in Software, Freedom to share, Freedom to Distribute. “
Government Official Tender file(pdf):- http://www.tenders.tn.gov.in/pubnowtend/uploaded/TD_elc58921_tn_laptop_scheme.pdf
Check page 57 for Technical Specification.
–JaiHindh ( Vote for Anti-Corruption ), Go Open Source the FOSS way!!!
–regards, PuduvaiLUG Team